Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chrissy's Birthday Cake

For my wife's birthday this year, I wanted to make a simple yet tasty cake. I wanted to to more than just a box cake, but nothing too crazy as things have been a little nuts around the house since the holidays. I wanted to do chocolate and I wanted to try some layers, so after a little searching I found this recipe. It uses a box mix and frosting in tins, but adds extra ingredients to make the cake super moist and the frosting extra creamy!

Rich Chocolate Layer Cake at Country Living

I followed the directions pretty closely, except that I left the almonds and coconut out of the frosting.

It was a big hit! It certainly didn't last long. My layers weren't perfect, but they did turn out pretty good. The recipe also had a couple great tips that I will take into future cake baking. They are:

  • Cut out a wax paper circle for the bottom of your cake tins as to keep the cakes from sticking.
  • Put strips of wax paper under the edges of your cake before frosting, then slip the out after you are done. That way you don't have frosting all over the plate or platter.



No comments:

Post a Comment